Conference Speaking Workshop
London Stock Exchange, London.
The Conference Speaking Preparation workshop is for executives who need to inspire, motivate or educate a conference audience.
The Conference Speaking Preparation workshop is for executives who need to inspire, motivate or educate a conference audience. You are speaking at a conference or event. No doubt time and effort have been made to ensure the venue is correct, the right agenda has been put together and that the AV provider is on time. How prepared are you for your conference talk? Companies invest large amounts of money bringing staff, clients or industry stakeholders together to share information and communicate key messages, although how much thought is ever actually given to the impact and effectiveness of their speakers? This intensive programme is designed for people who have little time to spare. It offers practical tools to help you get your message across memorably, structure your material for the best impact and present to audiences. The workshop provides plenty of opportunities to practise.
Why attend? By the end of this workshop, participants will have a clear understanding of how to:
- Communicate their message and personality in a relaxed, confident and memorable way – establishing their credibility and credentials – in all situations, from seminar talks to industry conference.
- Structure their presentation into a compelling and powerful message providing the audience with the key points from the outset.
- Prepare and use notes (bullets) in the most discreet and effective manner
- Use visual aids to properly support and reinforce their message
- Handling questions in a confident and concise way Methodology This is a skills-based training course. Learning skills takes practice. The half day is highly practical in nature with use being made of role-play and video analysis of each performance. Participants will be asked to prepare and deliver presentations to their peers, which will be recorded, critiqued and repeated.
- Reference book covering best practice, examples and other support covered during the day
- If you think you would benefit from follow on 1-on-1 coaching sessions, please mention it to the trainer or LSEG’s course co-ordinator
Who should attend?
This one day course has been designed to benefit the following professionals:
- Company Secretarial
- Investor Relations Managers
- Finance professionals
- Exchange professionals
- PR and IR Consultants
Registration fee: £695 + VAT
CPD points: This course attracts 6 CPD points
08:30 – 08:55 – Registration and coffee
09:00 Introduction and overview
Step One - The Underlying Principles of Spoken Communication
Making sure that whenever you speak, people not only listen, but also remember and believe what you say. All participants will analyze their own styles and abilities, identifying individual strengths and weaknesses and thereby benchmarking their areas in need of improvement.
Step Two - Notes and bullets
Participants will be asked to bring their own past presentation or one they would like to work on. Following discussion and demonstration of the best way to prepare and use notes/bullet points, each participant will restructure their own material.
Step Three - Planning, Content and Structure
Discussion and practice of planning and structuring a presentation. How to ensure audience ‘buy-in’; when to get your key points across; how long to talk for; how to adjust to a sudden time constraint; the language to use; the role of humor; the critical need to ‘know’ your audience.
Step Four - Visual Aids
Demonstration of the most effective use of any type of visual aid to make sure it supports the speaker and his/her message, and does not become a distraction. (The principles and techniques covered apply to all types of visuals, from PowerPoint to pitch books, flipcharts to handouts.)
Step Five - Question Handling
In this final stage, participants will be shown how to handle difficult questions in a concise and highly credible manner.